Monday, July 9, 2007

Thanks, but no thanks!

Like I wrote earlier on, finding someone to date here in Barcelona isn't that difficult. I've been here a month now and already dated two spanish guys and
got another ones number.
You would think it's paradise, right?!

Last night I went out on a date, and I should've listened to my gut feeling when something told me not to go out with him. But, what the heck, I thought I might give him a chance, because we all deserve one, no?!

It started out alright, we went for a stroll by the beach and talked about everything and anything. His english wasn't really good, but since I want to practise speaking spanish it was a great opportunity for me to do so.
There were some minor misunderstandings because of my bad spanish, but he was patient enough and we had a good laugh at my expense.
By this time I started thinking that he seemed like a "normal" guy with a good sense of humour with a little bit of sarcasm (which I like).

After our somewhat romantic stroll we decided to sit down and grab a drink. The restaurants/clubs by the beach were perfect, and on a Sunday night not as crowded.
This guy grew on my by the minute: he had a nice job, was going to Nicaragua on his vaccation as a volunteer to teach the kids science and math, he seemed responsible, mature and a gentleman. And, he was cute!

And just as I started to imagine "our" future together, he asked me:

"Do you like sex?"

My reaction: "Umm. Ehhhh. Que?!"

He basically said (and this is a summary of our 30 min conversation about the subject) that he had heard that girls in Sweden are very liberal when it comes to sex. We (they) will have sex with just about anybody, anywhere, anytime.
Oh, and he also said that he had heard that the swedish girls sneak out in the middle of the night before the guy wakes up (which he told me he liked).

My response?! I finished my beer, payed for them (mine and his!) and basically told him: Thanks, but no thanks!
There's nothing wrong with people having one-night stands, but it bugged me that he could be so blunt about it. He ASSUMED I would be "easy", ready and willing to jump him right then and there just because I'm from Sweden.
Our date ended shortly after he realized he was going home empty handed!

Oh, and before he left I just couldn't help but give him these facts:
"Not all swedish girls have sex with strangers, we're not all tall, blond and blue-eyed and the most common name isn't Inga!
And no, there are no polar bears walking around the streets!"

I guess it's like the saying goes: You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you meet your prince!



Hasta luego

MzS

No comments: