Sunday, July 1, 2007

Kindness is a flaw

I have always tried not to have prejudice about the suburbs, especially here in Sweden. People who live in these neighborhoods are like anybody else, just that they haven't had the same luck or opportunity to find another residence closer to town.

Working in the suburbs is unfortunately not as glamourous as it might seem! The bus is never on time, and when it is on time, it's a scabby, old and dirty vehicle full of people escaping the suburbs. Whilst waiting for the bus, in one of the "worst" neighbourhoods in this city of mine, a car stops at the bus-hold I was standing in. At first the car just drove by and honked, whereas I, by a reflex, waved. My stupidity allowed me to wave without having seen the driver. I should have known that the world is full of psycho people... He turned around and stopped a few steps in front of the bus-hold. I thought it was one of my collegues, so I went over. It was a guy around his thirties, a stranger, asking me where I was going. At this time I realized that this wasn't just a kind soul wanting to improve his karma.. He continues saying: "If you let me be your friend, I'll give you a ride to town"
What made him think I would get in that car voluntarily.. that would be a suicide...

So, even though the bus was 20 minutes late, and we had to change buses halfway to town because of engine problems, I thank higher forces for not letting my gullable character fool my common sense and go with that jerk.

Sorry to write a pretty serious template, but I just need to let this come out. I was angry, sad, and disillusioned at the same time. Not even a simple wave is innocent anymore.. For the first time I understand why people are reserved and scared of showing emotions.. Kindness puts you in a dangerous spot.

MzI

No comments: